Monday 6 April 2009

Buffalo 66


I first saw this film when I was sixteen or something, back-to-back with The Virgin Suicides, a film which I've watched multiple times. This film, Vincent Gallo's directorial debut, I've only watched twice since. Once, about a year ago with a friend of mine who really loved it and then again last night with my housemate. It's a peculiar film, and one that I found myself liking a great deal less than when I initially saw it.


Maybe it's because since I first saw Buffalo 66, I've read what he's had to say about other actors and director, he released The Brown Bunny and tried to sell his sperm online, but would only accept Caucasian buyers. It was apparently tongue-in-cheek, but if it was a joke it wasn't a very funny one.


Buffalo 66 is about Billy Brown (Gallo), a troubled individual who's just got out of jail following a five-year sentence for a crime he didn't commit. He then kidnaps a beautiful young girl, Layla (Ricci, making the most out of an underwritten role), and takes her home to introduce to his parents as his wife. Billy's disinterested parents (played by Anjelica Huston and Ben Gazzara, both excellent) go some way to explaining his aggresive, childlike mentality. What's most striking about the story is that Layla almost enjoys the roleplay and fosters a deep attachment to Billy, allowing him to open up to her. It's a male wish fulfilment fantasy and mysogynystic to boot. Gallo's creative control - he wrote, directed and scored the movie as well as casting himself in the lead role - suggests that this is a personal film and, on this level, it's rather fascinating. The comical, romantic script takes the edge off the film's more unlikeable qualities.

No comments: